#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; } pullin’ shots pullin’ shots

Friday, July 14, 2006

Cuban Caracolillo Single Origin

I wanted to continue my experiments with single origin coffee pulled as espresso. This Cuban Caracolillo (Caracolillo means little snail as these beans resemble snail shells, they are a peaberry), was roasted City+ and should be roasted darker as the coffee takes dark roasts really well. It is rich, earthy, and nutty. I don't find it overly complex when brewed into coffee and it wasn't overly complex as an espresso. It was only 2 days old, so I'll see if it comes into it's own over the next 2-3 days - but I'm not holding my breath. A great 'plain Jane' coffee, but it has never been spectacular to me.

I started with a double pulled into seperate shot glasses. It poured a little over an ounce in each right at 25 seconds - the grinder is close. . .



The finished shots:


Both were very smooth and didn't require any sweetner as they weren't the least bit bitter.

Next I pulled a double through my naked PF, again - my shots look blond and thin - but they really aren't. I can't get the beautiful Tiger Striping I was getting near the end of my relationship with the Gaggia. I'm not certain why - but practice will hopefully make perfect.




This double was for a cappuccino. It did well in milk, but didn't blow my mind. Again, it needs more rest or it needs to go futher in the roast.

Last of all I was sick and tired of the "blonde" looking shots. I opened all the windows, turned on the lights and turned off the flash. The pictures are not pretty at all as they are out of focus due to the shutter being open for a titch longer than with the flash. If I pulled out the tri-pod it might help. The next pictures are from two doubles that I pulled for an iced coffee. 1/2 espresso, 1/2 milk with 2 Splendas. 8 shots so far today, I'm wired. . .











I'm having fun with the single origins and think my experiments may take me to Mexico next. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home