#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; } pullin’ shots pullin’ shots

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mmmmm, espresso!

After home roasting for a while and drinking TONS of Zojirushi drip coffee, I go to Italy for work.




I've always enjoyed espresso, but never really tried my hand at it. I simply didn't understand it and thought it too fussy and difficult. After my trip to Italy, I HAD to learn how to do it. Each morning, I drank it at my hotel. 3-4 times a day we drank it during a 'break'. After each meal we drank it to cap off an excellent meal. God, I love this stuff! I spent a Saturday in Venice by myself and went to roughly 8-10 different cafes to have espresso. I'd walk out after paying my .85 Euro and started looking for the next spot. . . I was addicted.

I found a moka pot and thought that would do the trick. I never got that thing to work. I also brought back some roasted and ground LavAzza to try in my Mr. Coffee espresso machine. I got Mr. Coffee for a wedding gift about 4 years earlier and tried it a few times. It was messy and produced sub-par espresso. I was determined now as I HAD to find a way. . . I DID get that to work, but it wasn't doing it for me compared to Italian stuff.

After drinking this for a month or two, I decided to kick it up a notch. I needed good espresso in a quick and easy package. I convinced my wife to allow me to purchase a new machine and decided on a SuperAutomatic from WLL. Those friends of mine, in the know on espresso, tried to talk me out of it - but what do they know? I took delivery, drank so-so espresso for a day and couldn't get over the size of the thing on my counter. Called WLL, boxed her up and shipped her off. Hmmm, what now?

That's right, a refurbed Gaggia Evolution from WLL. I didn't yet have a decent grinder as I was going to do the pre-ground stuff - but it'll be fine. . . right? NOPE! Grind wasn't fine enough and water just poured through. On to my next purchase:

A Solis Maestro Plus to round out my set-up. Can't get any better than this. . . right?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home